October 5, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

I have never been a big fan of meatloaf. I definitely don't mind it but it's not something that I ever crave or go out of my way to eat. However, as I was browsing through a recipe website one day (I cannot for the life of me remember what the website was or I would give it credit) I came across this recipe. BACON wrapped meatloaf??? Seriously?! I love, love, love bacon, but here's the catch...my husband isn't a huge bacon fan. I know, I know, it shocked me too. It's not that he doesn't like bacon, he's just pretty picky about how it's made and it's texture so given the choice, he usually passes on the bacon. But anyways, as I was looking at this recipe it really did look yummy, so I figured I'd give it a try. We were both beyond pleasantly surprised! He loved the bacon, I loved the meatloaf, it was perfect! It's really easy to make and it's WRAPPED IN BACON! Can life get better than that? I think not :)

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

                         

Ingredients:
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
2 lbs ground beef
12 strips bacon

Preheat oven to 375.
Combine everything in a large bowl, minus the bacon. Dig in and mix everything together. Then shape the mixture into two log shapes, about 6 inches long. Lay 6 slices of bacon side by side, and place first log on them. Wrap the bacon around the log and carefully move to a baking pan that has been covered in heavy foil and sprayed. Repeat with remaining log and bacon. (6 strips of bacon really is more than enough, but I always try to cram a bit more in there...and that's good too :)  )
Bake for 45-50 minutes. If, after 50 minutes the bacon still isn't brown enough for your taste, turn the oven to broil for a minute a two and it'll crisp up a bit more.
Can top with ketchup if that's your fancy.
The original recipe says this is a serving for 8...but my husband and I can eat almost a whole log for one meal, so I'd personally say more like 5-6.
Cook time is going to be between an hour and an hour and a half. Prep doesn't take long at all, you just have to patiently wait 50 minutes for it to cook.

Microwave score:5.0 My husband is NOT a leftovers person really at all, he doesn't like things reheated... he'll eat this meal every single day for every single meal if I made enough for him to do that. It tastes just as good 3 days later as it did the very first day.
Freezer score: TBD I haven't frozen this meal yet because I can never seem to make enough to actually have any to freeze. I'll have to make it and freeze it without my husband knowing :)
Rob score:5.0 He loves this meal. We have very different styles of cooking, and although we don't mind each others meals, they're not usually favorites. This is probably the first meal I made that he gets seriously excited for me to make.
Overall Score:5.0 I have yet to find anything that I don't like about this recipe. It is simply scrumptious.


No comments:

Post a Comment