November 15, 2013

Spicy Black Beans and Rice

Alright this is a recipe that Kelly and I found in college, and it continues to be a favorite for me. Pretty easy to make, very filling, and seriously yummy.



Ingredients

1/2 cup onion
4 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbsp oil
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can Mexican styled stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 cup salsa
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups rice

Instructions
In a saucepan fry onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender, but not brown.
Stir in beans, tomatoes, salsa, salt and cayenne pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.

Let sit for 5-10 minutes, will thicken slightly. Serve over rice mounds.

Microwave score: 5.0 I really think this microwaves well. I've never been able to tell a difference between the first day and the 3rd day
Freezer score: 5.0 This freezes AWESOMELY. Just make the rice fresh each time.
Rob score: 4.8 He really likes this dinner, as long as I don't make it every single week :)
Overall score: 5.0 I love love love this recipe!

Maquel's critique: This is an easy to make recipe. It isn't something I crave, but it's a nice winter meal. With the hot rice and spicy salsa you can't help but feel warm when you eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment