January 30, 2013

Lasagna Soup

So we had a Relief Society activity and we were supposed to bring a soup to share. I had just made my cheesy veg chowder, so I wanted to try something different. I came across this gem here and decided to make it. Pretty risky considering I had never tried it yet I was serving it to other people. Luckily for me it was so amazingly fantastic! Everyone who tried it said they loved it and my roomie told me she had 3 bowls (I don't blame her). It's a good hearty soup that tastes delicious.

Takes about 1 hour from start to finish.
Ingredients:
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 32 oz. container chicken broth
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
8 lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
*Optional: 1 tbsp. corn starch mixed with 1 tbsp. water

For topping:
3 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
1/2 mozzarella cheese (can use reduced fat)
Directions:
In a medium to large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until onions are slightly translucent (2-3 minutes). Add in ground beef and cook until meat is browned.
Once meat has browned, drain the fat and then pour in broth, tomato sauce, petite diced tomatoes, salt & cayenne pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Add in the broken lasagna noodles and bring soup back up to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until soup thickens and noodles are soft, approximately 10-15 minutes.
If sauce is not thick enough, mix together 1 tbsp. corn starch with 1 tbsp. water in a small bowl and add into the soup. Stir until thickened. I haven't had a problem with the thickness of the soup. I put a lid on it after I add the noodles.
Spoon soup into bowls and top with mozzarella and parmesan.


Pictured with croutons for extra crunch, though i found that it wasn't needed.

Microwave Score: TBD-will finish the last bit for dinner
Freezer Score: TBD-not enough left over to freeze it
Overall Score: 5-I love lasagna so it's not really fair to rate it...

http://www.macaroniandcheesecake.com/2011/11/lasagna-soup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment