October 4, 2012

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese

So I have this amazing roommate right now, who is a very creative cook. She thinks "I wonder if X and Y would taste good together." She finds a recipe and then recreates it. One of the creations she made was cauliflower mac and cheese. She just kinda guessed and threw a dish together. The smell alone was good, but then I tried it, and it has haunted me ever since. It is one of the best dishes ever, and one of my go to comfort foods.

Because of that haunting deliciousness, I had to find a recipe for myself! I searched and searched, read recipe after recipe, and then I found this one. Maybe it was the healthier feel the whole grains brought, or maybe it was the sour cream, but either way I made it, and it was even better than I remembered it.

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
 Ingredients
  • 12 ounces multi grain elbow macaroni
  • 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
  • 4 slices multi grain bread, torn
  • 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (4 Tb dried)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar (6 ounces) or more if so desired...
  • 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/2 cup 1 percent milk
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (can use regular)

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.
  2. Meanwhile, pulse the bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add the parsley, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper; pulse to combine.
  3. Return the pasta pot to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
  4. Mix in the pasta and cauliflower and the cheese, sour cream, milk, and mustard.
  5. Transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish, sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.

Microwave Score: 4.5-because this is pasta and cauliflower this microwaves really well. The cheese sauce keeps the pasta from getting dry and crunchy. Half point deduction - The bread crumbs get soggy.
Freezer Score: 4.0-crumbs get soggy and it's a lot more dry then when it is fresh out of the oven. I would suggest adding extra cheese or milk when you microwave it.
Overall Score: 4.5-the next day flavor wise, is even better! But when it comes to texture, you don’t have the crispy bread crumbs any more.

Larissa Critique: The only variation I did to this recipe is I used white bread instead of multi-grain only because I'm avoiding high fiber foods right now but the white bread was good, I had no complaints about it. Overall this was a really good dish. My husband gave it a 3.5 only because he said it was too "fluffy" and wished that it was saucier. Next time I make this I'm going to double the saucy ingredients and see if how much different that is. We both really did like this recipe though. I'd give it a 4.0.

1 comment:

  1. Larissa! I totally agree about the sauciness of this. I always add extra cheese. I would suggest using a whole container of sourcream and bumping the milk up to a full cup. Also, I use wheat bread, just cause I like the difference in color. :)

    ReplyDelete